Monday, April 18, 2011

In The Mood For Love, A Film By Wong Kar-wai

I've been a huge fan of Wong Kar-wai's brilliant work ever since I saw his landmark film, Chungking Express a few years ago. I felt as though my eyes had been peeled wide open as I stared at every frame of that amazing movie.


And while Chungking Express impressed me with it's gritty style and expressive color palette, it wasn't until I saw his film In The Mood For Love (花樣年華) that I realized what a true master the man is. This is simply the most lushly gorgeous and beautifully melancholic movie I've ever seen. Every time I re-watch it, I find myself swept away....



Maggie Cheung is always stunning in everything she does, and in this film she shines at her brightest. She has an incredible grace and poise that you simply can't turn away from.




Tony Leung Chiu-Wai has always been a major presence in Chinese cinema, and his restrained acting (intensifying the conflicted feelings of his character inside) in this movie stands among his very best work.






The sets are top-notch, with beautiful colors and details that take you to 1960's Hong Kong.





And then there's the inspring wardrobe. Maggie's amazing traditional dresses are a character in their own right, and I'd love to have a couple of Tony Leung's classic vintage ties from this film.





In The Mood For Love is easily one my very favorite movies, and rightfully stands as one of the very best films of the 21st century. I can't possibly recommend it enough.....


No comments: