Sunday, April 06, 2008

I'll Miss Charlton Heston


Every time I try to to ponder the scope of Charlton Heston's film career I get a little overwhelmed. My thoughts bounce around as I try to mentally list my favorite movies starring the man. Naturally I recall the big ones like Ben-Hur, The Ten Commandments, and Touch Of Evil, but my real favorites are his sci-fi genre flicks like Soylent Green, The Omega Man, and foremost of all, Planet Of The Apes which is easily one of my personal top movies of all time.
I'm sure many folks dismiss Charlton Heston's acting style as being hammy and over the top, but I'll argue that's exactly what I love about it. So many of his characters brim over with a black and white righteousness that is quite rare in modern film. Men like Taylor, Robert Neville, and Moses carry the weight of the entire human race on their on their shoulders.

To me, the characters of Charlton Heston represented men who would empower us to pull back from the brink and save ourselves from destruction. The men who refuse to go blindly, the men who'll risk all to live on their own terms. For this reason, Mr. Heston will always be one of my very favorite actors.

Bless you and rest well, Mr. Heston.

No comments: